Pages

5/22/2010

Pretty start prawn rice paper rolls



Hong Kong is now hot and humid.
This sticky summer will go on until september...huuuu...
The problem is that a lot of Hong Kong kitchens are too small.
So I don't want to cook in the day time with a hot gas stove.
I understand why the vietnamese enjoy these rice paper rolls.
The fresh vegetables make it healthy and refreshing.
And I don't need to do too much work in the kitchen.
These rice paper rolls are good for
party food
or a hot summer lunch.


My partner's sister gave me the recipe
"Minced chicken rice paper rolls with fish sauce",
but this time I made them with some prawns.
The fish sauce is perfect with any rice paper rolls


Ingredients (Make 12 rice paper rolls)

12 sheets of rice paper,
1cup cooked prawns
4~5 spring onions or chives
2 sticks of celery or chinese parsley
1/2 a capsicum
handfull mushrooms or bean sprouts

for the fish sauce

2 Tbsp fish sauce
2 Tbsp water
1 Tbsp vinegar
2 tsp lime juice
1 tsp garlic
1/2 Tbsp caster sugar




I cooked the prawns in the microwave and chopped them in half.
Wash the vegetables and cut to  6~7cm length like the photo above.


Pour some warm water in the shallow dish.
The water should not be too warm,
it makes the rice paper too soft and it tears easily.
The rice paper has to be put in the water just few seconds.
-just cover with the water.
The rice papers may not be soft, but will go soft while you roll them up.


Place the rice paper on the dish or cooking board,
place a few chopped prawns on one side of the rice paper.



Fold the end of rice paper over the prawns.



Fold one side of rice paper.



Place the vegetables nicely like the photo above
and fold the other side over the vegetables.



And roll up tight.




Mix all of the ingredients of the fish sauce.



It will be a pretty party dish................


Or healthy and fresh summer lunch................



4 comments:

The Cilantropist said...

Oh I love making these!!! You are totally right: they are a wonderfully healthy snack/dinner/party food, and they look so beautiful and taste so fresh. I love that you included enoki mushrooms!

Chef Dennis Littley said...

they are absolutely beautiful, and I bet they taste divine....thanks for sharing such a wonderful recipe!!

Cook with Madin said...

They look lovely, fresh and delicious. I love making them too. Thank you for sharing.

Lina said...

Hi Phoebe,
I love your website. I am a Korean-American living in Hong Kong right now. My mother told me about your website. I would love to meet with you since I am trying to make new friends.
Thank you!
Lina

This post confirms my ownership of the site and that this site adheres to Google AdSense program policies and Terms and Conditions.